This blogpost is about the reason and solving getting the following message, or messages alike these when logging i to a linux box using ssh:
-bash: warning: setlocale: LC_CTYPE: cannot change locale (UTF-8): No such file or directory
However, this is a warning. Please mind such an issue might be come up in another way, which can be more disrupting; at least in the past I had issues running perl for the same issue:
[root@dmcel01 ~]# /usr/local/bin/ipconf -verify
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
LANGUAGE = "en_US.UTF-8",
LC_ALL = "UTF-8",
LC_CTYPE = "UTF-8",
LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
This is a utility that comes with exadata, and I needed it during patching, but it didn’t execute because of it. This was more than 4 years ago, and I actually created a SR for it. But because I was patching during a downtime window, I had to quickly solve it. I managed to find it, and reported it back to Oracle, which was turned into a MOS note (however, as Oracle seems to have a habit of) without proper attribution to me, and a bit wrong. You can see the note here (MOS account required) Running /Usr/Local/Bin/Ipconf -Verify Results In ‘Perl: Warning: Setting Locale Failed.’ (Doc ID 1393517.1)
Anyway, today I ran into this again. The issue is the CLIENT (the machine from which an ssh session is created) explicitly requested locale settings on the machine it connected to. This is done in the client’s global ssh settings in a file called ssh_config.
I should add I use MacOS/OSX, which is derived from BSD, which is unix/linux like.
The file ssh_config was found in /etc/ssh (/etc/ssh/ssh_config), but at least on 10.14.3 (Mojave) this has changed to /private/etc/ssh/ssh_config. The MOS note describes /etc/ssh_config, but I don’t think ssh_config is present in /etc directly in any OS by default, and probably mostly found in /etc/ssh.
In my case, after updating to OSX Mojave, the ssh_config file is overwritten, giving me back the locale issue. This is how the original default host settings look like:
SendEnv LANG LC_*
To solve the locale issues (again, for me), change it very simply to: